Designed to provide a universally recognised basic teaching qualification. The candidate will be expected to display a thorough knowledge of the fundamental aspects of Piping technique, and to communicate effectively in both individual and group lessons.
Candidates must hold the PDQB Level 4 Certificate in Piping or National Progression Award Scottish Bagpipes: SCQF Level 6 for playing ability.
Candidates must have the ability to:
- Teach classes and individuals
- Recognise basic faults and to correct them
- Explain movements clearly and concisely and correct mistakes quickly
- Instil proper methods of practice in pupils
- Maintain a pupil’s interest throughout a lesson
Assessment of Teaching Skills
The following assessment criteria should be met within 12 months.
Candidates will be assessed by a nominated Assessor on the delivery of four lessons.
The lessons should be as follows:
- Workshop topic to be agreed with the Assessor
- Individual lesson
- Group lesson
- Piobaireachd lesson
For each lesson candidates must prepare a lesson plan, which will also be assessed.
Candidates must maintain a diary to record 20 hours of teaching lessons and demonstrate delivery of teaching to varying ability levels.