Intended to allow beginners to assure themselves that they are learning correctly. Candidates will probably have been having weekly lessons for approximately six months.
Candidates must demonstrate an understanding of the following:
- Dismantling the Practice Chanter
- Cleaning and drying the Practice Chanter
- Correct hemping of the Practice Chanter
Candidates must demonstrate competence in the following:
- The scale
- The scale to F with a G gracenote
- The scale to C with a D gracenote
- The scale to D with a E gracenote
- G, D, E gracenote groupings
- All strikes
- Thumb or High A gracenote
- The Throw on D from Low A
- Doublings on High A, High G, F, E, D, C and B from Low A
- Basic monotone exercises in simple time.
Two tunes played from memory. The music is to be presented to the Assessor and played in accordance with the written score. The music does not have to be written out by the candidate. The tunes submitted must incorporate some of the embellishments from the exercises listed in section a.
Candidates must be able to:
- Name all notes and note values (duration)
- Demonstrate the correct placement of notes on the stave
- Demonstrate an understanding of what dotted and cut notes have on the note duration
- Correctly write a treble clef on the stave
- Understand the purpose of the bar line
- Write out 4 bars from a tune with a 2/4 time signature by copying onto manuscript paper from set music provided.